If you're looking for a multimeter, you might be wondering if you should buy a cheap one or an expensive one. Both have their pros and cons, but which is the best for the money? In this blog post, we'll compare cheap vs expensive multimeter and help you decide which one is right for you. But first of all, you have to see the features of both cheap and expensive multimeters.
Why are some multimeters expensive?
Multimeters start from $20 and go to $1000. But the thing which makes them expensive is the features. An expensive multimeter has many features like Bluetooth connectivity, high accuracy, advanced features like data logging, high counts display, IP rating, LoZ Mode, NCV mode and more.
Cheap multimeters have only basic features like AC/DC voltage and current measurement, capacitance frequency and resistance measurement. Continuity and Diode test options are available in all multimeters. That's why they are cheaper than the expensive ones.
Now let's see the features of expensive and cheap multimeters one by one. Many brands claim tons of features in their multimeters, but they actually compromise on quality.
Cheap Vs Expensive Multimeter Comparison
Features of Cheap Multimeters:
- Cheaper Multimeters come with a seven-segment or 4000 counts display.
- Generally, you can measure voltage up to 600V in both AC/DC.
- Inexpensive multimeters can measure current up to 10A.
- A standard multimeter can perform continuity and diode tests.
- Resistance can also be measured in a multimeter, and the maximum range is 20MΩ.
- Some of them measure capacitance too. The maximum range is 100nF to 100μF.
- A Cheap multimeter can measure frequency up to 20kHz.
Features of Expensive Multimeters:
- The first and foremost difference you will see in an expensive multimeter is its display. An expensive multimeter comes with a backlit LCD or an OLED display. The count ranges from 6000 to 20000.
- An expensive multimeter can measure voltage up to 1000V in both AC/DC.
- You can measure current up to 20A in an expensive multimeter.
- Some high-end models have features like data logging and Bluetooth connectivity.
- The maximum resistance an expensive multimeter can measure is 50MΩ, and capacitance is up to 100μF.
- The frequency range is also higher in an expensive multimeter, reaching 200kHz.
- Ghost voltages or LoZ mode is a feature you will find only in expensive multimeters.
- Some other features available in an expensive multimeter are IP rating, True RMS, and NCV mode.
Now that you know the difference between cheap and expensive multimeters, let's see which is the best for the money.
Which one should you buy?
The answer to this question depends on your needs. If you are a hobbyist or a student, a cheap multimeter will be enough for you. Cheap multimeters have all the basic features that you need for general-purpose use. But for the professionals who need advanced features, an expensive multimeter is the way to go. So, there you have it! Now you know the difference between cheap vs expensive multimeter and which is best for the money.
- Best multimeter for Automotive Work
- Best multimeter for Electronics Repairs
- Best multimeter for Electricians
If I had to choose one for myself, then it would be a fluke because fluke offers the best quality product. Cheap multimeters are good for general purpose use, but if you are a professional, go for fluke. Although they're a bit pricey but their quality is worth it.
Why are Fluke meters so expensive?
Fluke multimeters are some of the most expensive on the market. But there's a reason for that. Fluke multimeters are known for their accuracy and durability. They're also packed with features that other multimeters don't have. So, if you need a top-of-the-line multimeter, you'll have to pay a premium. I have also reviewed some of the best fluke multimeters for you. Go check it out now!Many brands also offer quality multimeters with ultimate features, and Klein tools are one of them. I have also made a comparison of fluke vs Klein multimeters. So, if you're new to the world of multimeters, go check it out!
How to Choose a multimeter for beginners?
There's no easy answer when it comes to choosing the between cheap vs expensive multimeter. It depends on your needs and budget. If you're just starting out, we recommend getting a cheap multimeter. Cheap multimeters are great for basic tasks like measuring voltage, current, and resistance. They also usually have continuity and diode test functions. However, they may not have all the features of an expensive multimeter.
On the other hand, if you need a multimeter with more advanced features, you'll have to spend more money. Expensive multimeters usually have better accuracy and higher count displays. They also often come with features like data logging and Bluetooth connectivity. So, if you need a multimeter with advanced features, we recommend getting an expensive one.
No matter which type of multimeter you choose in cheap vs expensive multimeter, make sure to get one that is durable and has good reviews. Cheap multimeters can be just as good as expensive ones, as long as they're well-made and have good reviews.
I hope this article helped you understand the difference between cheap and expensive multimeters. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below. And don't forget to share this article with your friends!